Urban lifestyle and sustainability – that‘s neubau eyewear
neubau eyewear is an independent lifestyle eyewear brand offering a wide selection of optical frames and sunglasses. All our frames are designed, developed and manufactured in Austria.
Inspired by urban culture
The brand name neubau pays tribute to international creative hubs such as Vienna’s Neubau district, located in the pulsating heart of the Austrian capital. It is a place where artists, creative souls and up-and-coming talents connect; a district comparable to others found around the globe from Covent Garden to Brooklyn, from Le Marais to El Born.
Lightweight and style conscious
Driven by an urban spirit, neubau eyewear unites innovative design with extensive production know-how and experience. As a result, neubau offers lightweight, fashionable frames while guaranteeing the highest quality standards and wearing comfort.
Sustainable by design
neubau eyewear’s dedication to style and quality goes hand in hand with setting high environmental standards for everything we do. Our efforts to stay conscious of both environmental needs and excellent design is conveyed in the neubau motto SEE & DO GOOD.
The conscious use of resources and regional Austrian production are at the core of our efforts. This not only concerns the material of our frames, it includes aspects such as packaging, printed and in-store material. neubau eyewear also supports non-profit projects revitalizing nature in urban environments.
We strive to treat our environment with the utmost consideration, knowing that there are already many accomplishments to look back on – but even more that lie ahead. It is our continuous effort to improve and our ambitious goals that define us.
From caster oil to innovative polymers
The heavy use of petroleum-based plastics around the world is taking a huge toll on the environment. That is why we have called upon Mother Nature to create plant-based alternative materials that can be used to produce our frames: naturalPX and natueal3D.
65% of our naturalPX is made up of oil extracted from the castor beans. The remaining 35% is conventional polymer which is needed to reinforce the strength and elasticity of the material. naturalPX doesn’t just help us minimize our carbon footprint, it also allows us to design and manufacture high-performance eyewear in a wide range of stylish colours and finishes.
natural3D is a 100% bio-based polymer made from castor oil beans which we use in our 3D printing process. This material is not only derived from a renewable source, it also enables us to produce the frames without creating or cutting waste, so the whole process leaves an extremely small ecological footprint.
natural3D is free from plasticizers, but is flexible and impact resistant. This robust and durable material guarantees that the glasses keep their shape. Also, 3D printed eyewear is extremely light — 30% lighter than conventional acetate. The cutting-edge finishing and sealing processes used during 3D printing produces frames with a beautiful finely pored surface, so they look and feel great too.
Consistent ecology: our accessories
All our accessories for your neubau eyewear frames are manufactured with the same view to utility and ecology. The neubau case for all naturalPX frames is manufactured from a cellulose base and without any need for glue, which makes it easily recyclable; the cleaning cloth is made from recycled plastic bottles and is packed only in recyclable paper. Even the marketing materials distributed at the point of sale are produced with selected materials by suppliers who respect the environment.
Supporting urban nature and our environment
Apart from our own initiatives, SEE & DO GOOD supports other projects that benefit the environment we live in. neubau collaborates with the Salatpiraten urban garden in Vienna, sponsors several hives of the Honey Bee Conservancy in New York City, or teams up with gabarage, an upcycling studio bringing used materials to new and useful life.
And that’s just to name a few of the projects we are working on. Watch this space for more eco-friendly initiatives coming along!